Tuesday, December 8, 2020

THROWBACK RECIPE: Great Grandma Ruby's coconut poundcake

 

This post is a reprint from my genealogy blog PRESERVEYOURTREE

My Great-Grandmother Ruby died a year before I was born. I am sad I never got to meet her. From what I understand she was a pretty remarkable woman. 

Apparently she was an amazing cook.

I was perusing our old family cookbook, looking for some Thanksgiving inspiration.

I realized a lot of the recipes that had been submitted, all belonged to Ruby!

These recipes were such family favorites that even years later were still being made and Of course, they HAD to be included in the cookbook!

ingredients

  • 2 sticks margarine, softened
  • 1/2 cup crisco
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoon “other flavoring” (coconut, almond whatever you prefer)
  • 1 cup flaked coconut

Directions

Do NOT preheat oven.

  1. Cream together the margarine, crisco and sugar.
  2. beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between each addition.
  3. Alternate flour and milk, mixing well in between each addition.
  4. Mix in vanilla and flavoring
  5. fold in coconut.
  6. pour batter into greased and floured tube pan/mold
  7. Place into cold oven

Set the oven to bake at 300 degrees

Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, or until toothpick comes clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile!