Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Easy Guacamole

 September 16th is National Guacamole Day....who knew?  (Now you do!)

I remember when I was a kid I HATED guacamole (Or thought I did, I refused to eat it because I just KNEW that anything that looked like a wad of snot had to be terrible).  We would go to mexican restaurants and I would always say No Guacamole. 

Fast Forward years later when I actually tried avocado and realized just how much I missed out on for all those years!  I am OBSESSED with it.  When we go out to eat I will order tableside guac. I order extra guac on the side, Guac to me is like Franks Red Hot..."I put that sh** on everything.




Of course the #1 ingredient is Avocado.    The best avocados for Guacamole are the little HASS avocados.  The really big ones from florida are tasty to eat on their own, but are full of water, which makes for a less tasty guac.  So find a little hass that isnt hard as a rock, the skins are a little darker, and has a soft touch when pressed(not stick your finger through soft, but yields under pressure soft) Do the squeeze test in several places to determine ripeness.



WHAT YOU NEED:

2-3 ripe Hass Avocados

1/2 sweet onion , diced small

2 roma tomato , diced small

fresh cilantro, small handful chopped

jalapeno, chopped small

garlic, 1-2 cloves chopped 

lime juice  

salt, pepper 

cayenne pepper (or see optional)

OPTIONAL : Tajin  Clasico seasoning  (I have found this adds a nice kick without being all cayenne peppery  and LOVE IT in my guac.)



DIRECTIONS:

Remove flesh from avocados and discard pit and skins mash lightly with fork or potato masher, sprinkle with lime juice so avocado doesnt turn brown as quickly. mix.

add onion, tomato, jalapeno,  garlic, and cilantro.. fold in and mix to distribute evenly.

add salt and pepper to taste. Add cayenne or Tajin Clasico.

can be eaten immediately, but like anything tastes better after flavors have had time to meld and really get to know each other.

cover with saran wrap directly on top of guac to keep all air out. refrigerate leftovers.

enjoy!!



 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile!