Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recipe 5: Italian Sausage with Peppers and Rice (Main Course)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!  I chose this recipe as it is a family tradition on this day.
Today is my birthday, and for as long as I can remember, this is the meal that is served.  Even to this day my mom and dad invite me over for Italian sausage with peppers and rice. Yes I am in my mid 30s and my parents still call me and say "Hey, coming over for sausage and peppers??"

This recipe is super simple. 4 ingredients. Thats it.  Kid friendly, too.  My self imposed Vegetarian  eats like a bird 7 year old scarfs it down.  My eat anything 10 year old declares it the best thing he has ever had and that I am the best...cook...ever.

ITALIAN SAUSAGE WITH PEPPERS AND RICE

I package sweet Italian Sausage links, cut into chunks and browned in a frying pan.  Drain.

Start your white rice.

Now, getting back to your sausage,  over medium low heat add:
1-2 Green Bell Peppers, cut into chunks or strips
Let these peppers sautee with the meat for a few minutes until they just start to lose some of their crispness.

Now, add 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce.. Let this all simmer together for about 15 minutes, while your rice is cooking.

Once rice is done, fluff it.

Now on your plate put a big scoop of rice and on top a big scoop of your sausage and peppers with sauce.

i told you, not excessively impressive, but SO GOOD.  Plus it is my birthday and this is my favorite birthday meal!


1 comment:

  1. I missed your birthday Sarah... Happy Late Birthday!!! I'm loving this blog (sorry for the late comment... my computer has been down for over a week now....it's pretty much fried)

    ReplyDelete

Make Me Smile!