Friday, July 23, 2010

Recipe 8: WHITE CHICKEN CHILI (main course/CROCKPOT)

SOURCE:  This recipe is from my friend Christine. She made this for a church function one time and I fell in LOVE with it.  I have made it many times for friends, potlucks, personal meals, functions and more.
This recipe is Included in the Weddington relief Society cookbook.

This Chili can be used as a main course by itself, or goes WONDERFUL with cornbread.
The best part about this recipe...you can make it as spicy as you want, depending on the heat you bring with your salsa choice. If I know kids are eating it, I will use a mild salsa. If it is for my husband and myself I will use a medium or hot.
But the BESTEST Best part...This is a crockpot recipe. dump everything in, set it and (forgive the Ron Popeil moment)forget it.
This calls for cooked chicken.  I use leftover rotisserie Chicken, that I kind of shred up into bite sized pieces. You can use any leftover chicken or just boil some chicken and then shred it. 

THE RECIPE:  White Chicken Chili (Crockpot Version)

In a crockpot combine the following:

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped (or 2 tsp pre chopped from a jar)
2 tsp cumin (I use a touch more, probably 2 1/2 to 3 tsp)
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
1 can Great Northern Beans, drained(can also use cannellini beans if  you can find them)
1 can Garbanzo beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1/2 can chicken broth
1/2 cup salsa
1 can chopped green chilis
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High 3-4 hours.
Serve with cornbread for a fantastic meal.

Top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro for a fancypants presentation!

1 comment:

  1. My variation of this is a staple at our house. We call it "albino chili" :) I love this website, Sarah! Super fun!

    ReplyDelete

Make Me Smile!