Thursday, August 5, 2010

Recipe 16: CLASSIC ROASTED CHICKEN (Main Course)

SOURCE:  When i got married I received a packet of easy, healthy recipe cards in the mail. If I liked what I saw I could continue receiving packets of recipes every month for the low low price of 4.95 per shipment.(Plus shipping and handling)  AND it came with a plastic recipe box...WITH DIVIDERS!  Well needless to say I felt the urge to impress my new husband with my brilliant skills, so I subscribed to these recipe cards for about  2 years and amassed quite the collection that I used about 3 times and is now collecting dust in the cabinet above my refrigerator.  The one lesson to come from this experience (Apart from not subscribing to something that just showed up in the mail) was how to make the worlds BEST ROAST CHICKEN.  I make this chicken often and use the leftovers for other chicken dishes later in the week. This has great flavor, is tender and juicy and is healthy!!  So thank you 4.95 a month for 24 months for a box of recipes I almost never use ! And thanks for selling my name to the "Never Run Nylon company", the "Romance Book of the Month Club", the "Cookies of the monthBaking Club" and the "Makeup of the month club".


THE RECIPE:  CLASSIC ROAST CHICKEN
1 roasting Chicken, about 3-4 pounds.
Clean out the cavity and  lightly salt the cavity.


in a small dish mix together:
4 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp dried Thyme
2 tsp Dried rosemary
3 cloves minced garlic (3 tsp pre chopped from a jar)
1/4 tsp of ground sage
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper.

Whisk together well.

Place Chicken in a roasting pan.
Rub the oil and herb mixture all over chicken and lift up the skin on the breast and get the oil and herbs in there as well.
Pour remaining oil herb mixture inside cavity as well and rub in.

Slice half a lemon and put several slices inside the cavity.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour.  After an hour, tilt the chicken forward and let all the juices run out of the cavity. Use these juices to baste chicken.
Roast chicken for another hour until done, basting frequenly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile!