Monday, August 9, 2010

recipe 18: BEST BANANA BREAD (Breads, kid friendly)

SOURCE:  I got this recipe in College, from my roommate Diane. I always had good intentions of eating healthy. I did not gain the freshman 15 (I gained the freshman 14 1/2).  I would go to the grocery store and purchase fruits and vegetables and MOSTLY do a good job. Except bananas. I just cant eat them if they are not slathered in Peanut butter, or baked into some sort of muffin or pie (of the cream variety).   Well my Roommate had a solution to our rotting banana problem. She gave me her recipe for Banana Bread and it was gangbusters from then on!  So moist, and such good flavor. Not too sweet, not too bready. Just right.
In fact we used to make banana bread and the other rommates would come home and smell it and start ransacking the apartment looking for it.  One time my other roommate Jackie and I made some banana bread and hid it in our room so no one could find it.  We acted like we had no idea who made it and we couldnt smell anything...maybe a neighboring apartment??  Mean, I know. But we would sneak off to our room with the butter and a knife and partake in a little private party that we swore each other to secrecy. The Banana Bread Club.
So here is THE recipe for Banana Bread.

THE RECIPE:

5 large brown super ripe bananas (they should almost be transparent when you open them up)
4 eggs
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

In a blender or with a stick blender, beat and blend banans until liquid-y. Add eggs.
In a separate bowl cream together the shortening and sugar.
To this add your dry ingredients (flous, soda and salt)
add the banana and egg mixture and beat well.
Add any walnuts if desired.

Pour into well greased loaf pans.
Bake at 250 for 90 minutes, or until cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile!