Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Recipe 24: PINEAPPLE ZUCCHINI BREAD (breads)

SOURCE: Many years ago my grandmothers Baptist Church up in Michigan put out a cookbook for their congregation.  This bread recipe was in it, and went untested for years in my house. A few weeks ago I went over to my parents and my dad had made it with some of the zucchini from his garden.  He offered me a piece and I was AMAZED at how good it was.  He said "Guess the secret ingredient..."
PINEAPPLE.  It makes it moist and delicious but gives it only a hint of sweetness. This is REALLY a fantastic bread. This is a GREAT recipe if you grow zucchini in your garden like I do and have a bumper crop! In fact, I made a few loaves the other day and they were SNARFED down in record time.


THE RECIPE:

2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup crushed pineaplle, drained off well
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups shredded zucchini(kind of squeeze out excess moisture)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts(optional)

Beat eggs and add the sugar, oil, pineapple and vanilla. Stir well.
Gradually add in remaining ingredients, stirring  until all incorporated.

Grease 2 large or 3 small loaf pans and pour batter, dividing evenly between the pans.

bake at 350 for  45 - 60 minutes.
Test with a knife  to make sure it is cooked through.

can be frozen and saved for later as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make Me Smile!